Tuesday, September 11, 2012

You are going to feel like my stories threw up on you...

 Emily and I at KTV!


 Worlds best Garlic Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich.



 View of the path I take to my office. My School Is BEAUTIFUL!




Dear Readers,
I really must apologize for being such a truant blogger. In penance, you get two posts. Granted, the one post was about last weekend but still. You are most likely going to feel like I threw up a bunch of stories on you, but my brain is fried.

Today’s post is about my first week of classes and my first week as a TEACHER!!!
For all who really know me, and how I used to swear up and down that I would never teach, feel free to laugh away. I absolutely LOVE teaching. Granted it is not always easy, I have to keep reminding myself that my lesson plans are my friends, but I do enjoy it.
My first week of classes went well. The first class was a bit rough. Not horrible, but not the most amazing thing ever. By Wednesday, I was getting the hang of things. My students appear to be sweet young people. I actually wake up every day at 6am excited about teaching. (Ok fine, that doesn’t actually happen until the caffeine has hit my blood stream, but If I wasn’t dependent on it, I would be excited first thing. I am just not a morning person. Lol)
It is pure music to my ears to hear variations of “Hello Teacher”. I am teaching 6 classes in a week. Each class period is an hour and fifteen minutes long. And then twice a week in the evenings I direct hour and a half long English Corners which are basically less structured Classes. In the English corners I get to make up the curriculum and I have a mixture of students.  All in all, I only have 2 preps to do because the classes are all the same for the same level and the English corners are also the same.
I already have a favorite class. (is that bad?) They are my last class on Tuesday (I have three and by that time, I am almost half dead). They are my smallest class, but the funniest. They all crack me up and seem to adore me.

I got to go to KTV this past weekend. For those who do not know what it is, KTV is karaoke. there were 3 mics but almost everyone sang with the songs. I sang two songs...both with other people helping...one was an Adel song that I could actually hit the notes on.
On the way back from KTV, our Chinese friend B was walking with Hannah and I. In China, it is common to see girls walking together holding hands or linked arms. We were being very Chinese and walking arm in arm. I found I like this custom, especially when walking around in the dark. It is comforting to know your friends are on either side of you. While walking down dark side streets to get back to campus, B turns to me and says "Hilary, tell me some American Ghost Stories". At first I was shocked (that was not what I was expecting to hear on a walk in the dark), but then I started telling the scariest one in my repertoire. B ate it up! The entire time, Hannah was shooting me looks of "what the heck are you doing?" Honestly, I had no clue. Even though I knew my own stories, I was starting to scare myself. It was great fun! When I finished telling all my stories, we no longer wanted to walk on the dark sidewalk and started to walk faster to campus.lol

Walking across campus with our big group, I realized something was on my foot...It was GUM! Needless to say I shrieked. Everyone stopped and saw me hopping around like an idiot. It was mushed inside my flip flop. How the heck I got gum INSIDE my FLIP FLOP, I have no clue. China Lesson number 7: Do not wear Flip Flops when walking around China in the Dark, you might get gum inside and all over your foot.
After the gum fiasco, I had a fit of major slap happiness. I then went up to my room and started researching more ghost stories for an up coming English Corner. I got pretty creeped out and my dear friend Hannah let me crash on her couch for the night. That was when I discovered what a great bed our couches make! I had the best night sleep ever! Beds here are kinda firm, not something I am used to. (I wake up sore a lot) So the next day, I slept on my couch. Not only did I sleep really good, but I woke up with no fresh bug bites. Yes, it is not uncommon to wake up in the morning with unexplainable bites on your arms. I had about 10 little red bites on my elbow. Kinda creepy. Bed bugs? I am not quite sure. Don't think I want to know. As long as some spider/ bug isn't laying eggs in my brain, eating me from the inside out or lice playing in my hair, I don't want to know. I can deal with some bites. I have cream for that.

For a very happy note, I have been able to cook in my apartment! I have had 4 successful cooking adventures. I have made yummy cookies, baked asparagus, sauteed veggies, made a tasty meat and potatoes dish, and made the worlds best grilled cheese and tomato sandwich!

Anyways, it is late, I have office hours, a class to teach, meeting to attend and an English Corner to instruct. Tomorrow is going to be busy, But I get Thursday OFF!!! Completely OFF! I am so happy.

I promise to be more faithful in blogging. Thank you for putting up with my randomness and discombobulated and possibly incorrect grammar. I plead the fact that I taught a lot today and my brain is mush.

Peace and Love!


No comments:

Post a Comment