Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Many Wonderful Mishaps of Hilary!

So,
As many of you may know, I am not the most graceful person. If I thought that being in a different country would change that, I was wrong! These next few paragraphs are just a few stories of the shenanigans and graceless moments that have occurred.


The first day we were here, I was under a lot of jet lag. Apparently being a country girl means I don't know about these 4 feet high posts in the sidewalk that keep cars from driving on them. I wasn't paying attention and walked right into one causing my thigh to bruise up immediately.

 Movie nights occur a lot. The floor where things happen is on floor 5. Mostly because many of us are stationed there. I am on floor 4 so it is only a staircase climb away to reach my friends Laura and Hannah's room. One of our crazy happenings was the night we decided to watch Tangled. Laura, Hannah and I were on the bed and Andrew was sitting on the floor. Laura decides to get up to get something, and when she came back, she thought it would be funny to jump over me like a ninja. She jumped and on her way over, smacked me in the head with her hand! She hit my head so hard she bruised her pinky! I of course was laughing from pain and the hilarity of it and she laughing while cradling her hand. A few minutes later, I was laughing at something else that had occurred and fell off the bed, much to the amusement of all. People who know me understand that falling off the bed, or chairs is a pretty common thing.

The next day I was coming out of the local Wu-Mart (our grocery store), and realized it had been raining. I was wearing flip flops and was calmly walking down the ramp with my armful of groceries. Well, my feet hit a wet patch and went out from under me! Some how I was able to go into a squat position and not land on my rear end in front of the entire street. I did not however, manage to corral the squeak of surprise that slipped out. So I had people looking at me no matter what probably thinking "Crazy foreigner".
 
That kid's face says it all..."what a crazy foreigner".

I think in my last post I mentioned how we went to the Forbidden City the other day. Well in the Forbidden City we also visited the museum of clocks...where I got clocked in the head by a shutter...yes, an ancient shutter.
Here is the story. There were these open windows and there was this beam that was lining the room. I decided to be like the cute little kids and walk the beam. (Some things never change) Well, the spot I picked to step up on happened to be right under the open window. And what was right there? The shutter, an ancient shutter that was still very sturdy, was what my head collided with. After a few seconds, I was able to laugh it off.

I keep hoping I will not be this ungraceful in my classroom. I can only hope that if I am, He will use my shenanigans to shine His light through me.


1 comment: